You know what they say: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I have always had a crush on crumbles. Could eat them all day, everyday. As a true breakfast lover I must say: this one is a keeper. Unfortunately it was not as easy as I thought it would be to create a crumble as crunchy and tasty as the apple crumbles made with wheat-containing flour. The first couple of times it was a disaster and definitely not a success. So I kept trying, experimenting with different types of flour and searched through the internet for inspiration: how do I create the crunchy gluten-free part of a crumble? Read the tips for gluten-free baking? It is really going to help you.
Since I am trying to make balanced decisions about food, I wanted to create a crumble as easy and healthy (in my kind of way) as possible. It turned out to be a lot easier than the couple of times I tried before. In just 30 minutes you can bake a mini apple crumble. If you do not like apples you can replace it with any other kind of fruit. It is just as easy as that! Want it to be more crunchy? Then add some nuts. Want the crumble to me ticker? Then add some more flour. Use this as a basis, it is easy to combine with fruit or nuts and you can create whatever you like! I bake my apple crumble the night before and the next morning I reheat it in the oven. Really delicious with some yoghurt to the side or fresh fruit. Also perfect to take with you on the go or as an afternoon snack.
Saturday morning in bed with your warm apple crumble. Ready to rumble in the kitchen? Then let’s get that breakfast party started!
How do you make your crumble pies?
Best way to start your weekend. Great with some yoghurt and fresh fruit.
- 1 small apple
- 15 g raisins
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 10 g buckwheat flour
- 10 g almond flour
- 8 g honey
- 2 ml coconut oil
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180° C and line a baking pan with parchment.
- Step 2 Squint the apple and cut it into small pieces.
- Step 3 Mix the apple pieces, raisins and cinnamon all together and put it in the baking pan.
- Step 4 Then mix together the buckwheat flour, almond flour, honey and coconut oil. Make sure the mixture is crumbly.
- Step 5 Spread the dough evenly on the apple pieces in the baking pan.
- Step 6 Put it in the oven for 20 minutes and your crumble is ready to be served.