Salty lovers: this one is for you
As you all know by now I am a crunchy-kind-of-person. From sweet to salty or both. I love it all: the bite and of course the crunchy sound. I always try to add something to my breakfast with a crunchy bite. Read the post about the breakfast sticks or missed my oatmeal cookie? Definitely a must for the sweet tooth among us.
Craving for a salty breakfast? Then you are definitely going to love this one: crunchy flaxseed crackers. There are multiple ways to make your own crunchy crackers. You can never really fail in creating them. It is all about mixing the right flavors together and the right amount of flour.
As you might know gluten-free flours do not behave the same way as wheat flours do. To compensate for the lack of gluten you need to blend several types of flours. Otherwise your baked goods might be too dry or crumbly. For my flaxseed crackers I used: rice flour and almond flour. There are several varieties of rice flour. For this recipe I used the white rice kind. Several bakers recommend blending fine grinds with high-protein flour such as almond, to make sure the ingredients bind well. Almond flour is high in fiber and protein. It also adds a nutty taste to your baked goods.
These crackers are delicious with some herb spread. Want to create a royal breakfast? Then you should definitely serve them with a poached egg and avocado.
Do you make your own crackers?
Delicious crackers and great to serve with some herb spread.
- 50 g white rice flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 50 g grated cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- 70 g crushed flaxseed
- 30 g oregano
- 20 g sunflower seeds
- 30 ml olive oil or coconut oil
- a pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 190° C and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Step 2 Mix together: the rice and almond flour, 25 g grated cheese, the crushed flaxseed, oregano and olive oil.
- Step 3 Whip the two eggs and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
- Step 4 Spread the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and use another sheet to roll out the dough evenly until it has a thickness of 4 mm.
- Step 5 Use a blade to punch the lines of the crackers. You can make the crackers as big as you like. I made 6.
- Step 6 Sprinkle the dough with the grated cheese that is left and the sunflower seeds.
- Step 7 Put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Step 8 Let it cool and cut the crackers. Preservable for 3 to 4 days.